A lot of people, including couples feel that Valentines Day is the most overrated holiday. It’s pretty much a Hallmark holiday, that was created to sell cards, chocolate and flowers. While some may love this stuff, others think it’s a waste of money and calories.
If you’re single on VDay, this can be one of those dreadful days that you are just trying to get through. No matter how hard you put on that forced smile, you still seem to cringe at those couples that take PDA to the next level. You start thinking of an ex and boom, now you really feel single. Well my advice is to snap out of it and treat this day like any other day!
As a Dating Coach, it’s my duty to provide you with a list of reasons why being Single on Valentines Day is actually pretty awesome.
1) There is no pressure to plan something. No built up expectations from your partner on whether you selected the ideal gift, or best new restaurant to dine at.
2) You save a ton of moulah. Research has shown that people spend at least $100 on their partners by purchasing flowers, gifts and/or dining out. Now you can now use this money to spoil yourself.
3) It is really just a day to spend loving yourself and be with people who are your biggest fans. One cute tip: send your fellow singletons a box of chocolates or “Be Mine” card letting them know you are thinking of them.
4) You can host your own event, dinner party, games night and bring the single community together to celebrate being fabulous. Let’s be honest, at least half of your friends who are in relationships have disappeared anyways. Why not create something new and build social networks?
5) You can do whatever you want! Maybe it’s a Netflix marathon, a hot yoga session, treating yourself to a spa day, buying that new bottle of perfume or thinking about your next travel adventure.
6) You can make the day about serving others by volunteering at a shelter. There’s no better feeling than sharing your love with someone in need. Not to mention, if you happen meet a cute person who volunteers too you’ve definitely scored big!
7) You can treat your body right by booking a Palentine’s date with your trainer or treating yourself to a session at Barry’s Bootcamp or Sweat and Tonic that you have been dying to try (because we all know that tough love is the best love).
8) Research what’s happening in the city. If you venture out to a local pub, hotel lobby bar or Vday Social Event, there’s a high chance that many people there in groups, are likely single and interested in connecting with new people. So act like a “tourist” and strike up some new conversations.
9) Take a chance with someone you recently just met! Yes it’s Valentines Day but that doesn’t mean it’s a day just for existing couples. If you’re feeling a little bold, then try calling up or texting a potential love interest and ask them if there down to do something low key like see a movie or grab a cocktail.
10) It’s a day to reflect on self-love, gratitude, and sharing love with others who add value to your life. Whether it’s family, a best friend or a pet, ultimately Valentines Day is about spending time with people you cherish.